tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Mar 03 00:42:26 2014

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] before now

De'vID ([email protected])

De'vID:
> How would you express "before now"? "I haven't done this (e.g., written a
> manuscript) before now."
> {ret not ghItlh vIqon}? Can {ret} be used by itself as a time stamp, and can
> it precede an adverbial {not}?

Fiat Knox:
> Would {qaSpa' DaH} or {qaSpa' poHvam} work for you?
> {qaSpa' DaHjaj not tera'ngan vISuv} "Before today, I had never fought a
> Terran."
> {qaSpa' poHvam DuH Dochvetlh 'e' not vIqel} "Before now, I had never
> considered that that was possible."
> {qaSpa' DaH not leghlu'} "It had never been seen before now."

Is {DaH} a thing that can {qaS}? My intuition says that the subject of
{qaS} is an event, or at least something that has a well-defined
beginning, middle, and end in time. But I have no evidence either way
whether {DaH} can be the subject of {qaS} or not.

--
De'vID