tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jun 18 11:46:55 2014

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] 'arDaq

Robyn Stewart ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol po'wI']

With something like {mIvDaq yIH} sitting on its own, I see it as the beginning of {mIvDaq yIH vIlegh}, which I'm okay as interpreting as me not being in the hat too, thanks to <pa'vo' pagh leghlu'> (the room has no view) from the tapes. I'm happy with a sentence fragment being used as a standalone title. I would reject *{muSuch mIvDaq yIH}.

Likewise  {telDaq wovmoHwI'mey} could be expanded to {telDaq wovmoHwI'mey lujomlu'} and it seems perfectly reasonable to omit the verb. luch jomlu'bogh bopmo' Doch naQ.

I don't think of a type 5 migrating to the second noun in a noun-noun construction. It's rare that a type 5 is applicable to one noun in such a construction, and not both. An example I can think of would be:

loDnI'lI' betleH DangIp'a'?
ghobe', betleHDaj munoj be'nI'wI''e'.

That's a workaround for *{ghobe', be'nI'wI''e' betleH vIngIp.}

I suppose there's also:
betleHvetlh Dunoj'a' be'nI'lI' 'IH?
ghobe', munoj be'nI'wI' moH'e'.

To avoid *{be'nI'wI' moH'e' betleH vIngIp.}
But I'd accept {be'nI'wI' moH'e' betleHDaj'e' vIngIp} or {be'nI'wI' moH'e' betleHDaj vIngIp}.
(betleH Doj ghajlaw' be'nI'wI' moH).

mubelmoH chutvam, because with longer noun phrases the type fives separate them. It would be hard to write parsable sentences if a noun with type 5 could be in a N-N with the following noun.

Whether it is correct or not, this pattern of having the type 5 come at the end of a phrase definitely influences my comfort with {quS 'arDaq nav vIlannIS}.  If I heard {quSDaq 'ar nav vIlannIS} I would mentally correct it to {quSDaq nav 'ar vIlannIS}.

- Qov