tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jan 28 08:52:58 2014

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] geometry terminology in Klingon

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

De'vID:
>> * How to say "solid" (the three-dimensional analogue to a polygon).

{Sub}  be solid (v)

KGT 164f.:  Literally meaning "be solid", as opposed to gaseous or liquid, {Sub}, in its slang usage, may be applied to a person.  Thus, {SuvwI' Sub} is "brave warrior" (literally, "solid warrior") and {Sub SuvwI'} means "The warrior is brave" (literally, "The warrior is solid").  It is inappropriate to use the word to describe anything other than a person; a phrase such as {may' Sub} would mean only "solid battle" and would probably be considered a meaningless utterance.  The slang meaning of {Sub} is probably influenced by the phonetically identical noun {Sub}, meaning "hero".

The real question is:  How to say "hollow"?  We do have {chIm} "be empty" which, if appropriate WRT geometrical figures, implies {buy'} "be full, be filled up" for solid objects.

niqolay q:
> To go with the right angle question: What units are Klingon angles
> measured in, and what is the associated phrasing of saying "this angle is
> <whatever> degrees"?

AFAIK this is all we know about angles:

HQ 11.2:  The attitude of a plane is its orientation relative to something, such as the {ghangwI'} "horizon". [...] The attitude of an aircraft is often talked about in terms of angles. The word for angle is {tajvaj}. Klingon {taH} means "be at a negative angle".

We do have {lol} "be in an attitude (i.e. aircraft); be in a stance, be in a pose (i.e. people or animals)", but only used generally:

  qughmeH Duj vIlolmoH
  I put the vessel in the attitude for cruise (or cruising). [HQ 11.2]

  DuHIvmeH SuvwI' lol ghaH
  the warrior is in a stance to attack you [HQ 11.2]

  lolchu'
  be in a correct attitude (i.e. aircraft) (v.) [HQ 11.2]

  lolchu'taH
  maintain a correct attitude (i.e. aircraft) (v.) [HQ 11.2]

  lolmoH
  maneuver an aircraft to be in some attitude or other (v.) [HQ 11.2]

  loltaH
  maintain an attitude (i.e. aircraft) (v.) [HQ 11.2]

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons