tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jan 28 08:34:57 2014

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] -ing vs. -er

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Voragh:
>>    qoD QutlhwI' ngaDmoHwI'
>>    Inner Support Stabilizer (KBoP)
>>    [i.e. those ceiling supports flanking the captain's chair
>>     on a BoP that look like large shock absorbers]

Lieven:
> When I got the word for jungle gym, I noticed some interesting detail:
> Marc Okrand very often translates words in the pattern "x-ing device"
> with {x-wI' Doch}, although many times I would have thought it could be
> {x-meH Doch}.
>
> It's not a {QutlhmeH ngaDmoHwI'}, but a {QutlhwI' ngaDmoHwI'}.

Perhaps to Okrand this isn't a "purpose noun" but rather a noun-noun phase:  a stabilizer-supporter (i.e. two devices combined in one).

> It's not a {toSmeH qal'aq}, but a {toSwI' qal'aq}.

A "climber's frame" (i.e. a toy), not a "frame for (the purpose of) climbing" (i.e. a tool) -- which would be a ladder.

Hmm... Do we have a word for ladder?  We've seen them on starships, but all I could find was {letlh} and {choghvat}:

KGT 29:  the word for stairs or stairway in most of the Empire is {letlh}. One type of letlh is a {choghvat}, the stairway leading to and from the doorway of a ship. In a couple of dialects in the Mekro'vak ... region, however, {letlh} refers only to the stairway connected to a ship, while {ngep'oS} is any other kind of stairway but not one used to enter or exit a ship.

> Do you have more examples of this kind?

Another pattern to consider is from KCD:

  romuluSngan Sambogh 'ej HoHbogh nejwI'
  Romulan hunter-killer probe (KCD)

which is called a {HoHwI'} for short.

It may not be the same pattern, but looking on the BOP poster I find:

  pIvchem lIngwI' DaHmey: cha'
  Warp Field Generation Arrays - 2

not *{pIvchem lIngmeH DaHmey}

  pIvghor lIngwI' DaH