tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jan 28 07:28:28 2014

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] geometry terminology in Klingon

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

> >> qal'aq
> >> frame, framework, supporting structure, skeleton

Quvar:
>> Was it specified if this also applies to organic skeletons
>> (that is,> the set of all our bones), or only to that of a
>> building/starship/structure?

Lieven:
> It's easy to distinguish {qal'aqmey} from {qal'aqDu'}  :- )

Checking my notes we also have the verb {Qutlh} "support" and the derived noun {QutlhwI'} "support".  At qep'a' 17:

  Marc also clarified that {Qutlh} (support) can only refer to physically
  supporting something. It can't refer to monetary (he said {ghaq} is for
  this), psychological or any other non-physical type of support.
   [qurgh, 7/27/2010]

  qoD QutlhwI' ngaDmoHwI'
  Inner Support Stabilizer (KBoP)
  [i.e. those ceiling supports flanking the captain's chair on a
   BoP that look like large shock absorbers]

> We have no more information, but I believe that was exactly Okrand's
> intention, otherwise he would not have mentioned it. "framework" would
> have been enough, and though he did not write "grid", I'm sure it also
> applies to that one, too.

For a non-structural grid in the sense of an interlinked network, see {pat} "system, grid"; e.g. {nuH pat} "weapons grid":

  HoS law'qu' luch law'qu' je lo' Duj nuH pat Hub pat je
  A huge amount of the ship's power and technology is devoted
  to its weapons grid and defensive systems. SP3

We also have {DaH} "bank, array";  e.g. {nISwI' DaH} disruptor banks (KGT), {begh DaH} deflector array (KBoP).

Anatomically speaking if your skeleton is a {qal'aq}, your nervous system would be a type of {pat}.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons