tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Aug 20 06:55:17 2014

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Bottle Opening and Drinking, al-Amarjan Style

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Fiat Knox:
> Is the opening of a bottle a qung or a QemjIq? Can't recall if this
> has been discussed. You can stop up the opening (qorgh) but you can
> fill the bottle (teb).

From my notes...

MO to 'ISqu' (1/02/2012):  hole (like a hole in the ground) is {QemjIq}. This can also be used for the hollow in a tree. {qung}, the word for "hole in a musical instrument", can't be used for a hole in the ground, but it could be used for a bullet hole or a hole in a shirt (including buttonholes, moth holes, accidental rips, etc.) or a hole in the roof. You can fill ({teb}) a {QemjIq}, but not a {qung}.

According to HQ 10.2:8, {qung} is to change the pitch in a wind instrument, apparently not a soundhole for stringed instruments.

Based on this, I would say that the opening of a bottle (or jug) is the general {QemjIq}.  {qung} seems to be restricted to the very specialized holes in wind instruments.

More on stoppers...

MO interviewed by Lieven (11/12/2013):  {qorgh} is to "stop up, to fill a hole". You can stop up a hole, but not fill it in with dirt. That would be {teb}.  {qorgh} is to stop up an opening somehow. It's like filling in, and not put stuff inside. [...] So the cork is the 'thing which does close the hole (of the bottle)' ... So the word for the cork is a {qorghwI'}.

OTOH since a {bal} is defined as "jug, jar, bottle":

IMO (HQ 8.3)  {yor} ... is not the word used for lid or cover or cap (as in lid of a jar) or removable (and reusable) top of a box. The word for this kind of top or lid or cover is {yuvtlhe'}.

{qorghwI'} may well be a *disposable* cork, stopper, bottle cap, etc., while {yuvtlhe'} is one that is reusable.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons