tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Apr 15 06:33:40 2014

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Multiple verb suffixes

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Bellerophon, modeler wrote:
> >     Q: ghorgh tujchoHpu' bIQ?
> >     A: bIDachtaHvIS, tujchoHpu' bIQ.
> >
> > I take it you would interpret {tujchoHpu'} as something like "finish
> > becoming hot." Why not just {tujchoH}, as SuStel asked?

SuStel:
> Well, I just asked what was the difference with not using -pu'; I
> recognize the sentence from the Useful Phrases list (which makes it a
> canonical example of -choH and -pu' together).[]

FWIW I found another example of -choH and -pu' together:

  ghIq HoSHa'choHpu' moratlh
  And Morath's strength was gone PB

And WRT getting hot {tujchoH}:

  tujqu'choH QuQ
  The engine is overheating. TKD

  tujqu'choHmo' QeHchaj, nagh tetlaH tujvam
  Their anger so hot, it could melt the rock (PB 76-77)

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons