tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Apr 07 13:10:37 2014

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Canon and feelings for translating be-verbs with "there"

I'd likely have translated {law' 'Iw} as "there's a lot of blood" in a
non-instructional context even before this discussion. However, I
would hesitate to do it as part of a teaching exercise unless the
literal "the blood is much" translation were presented along with it.

On Mon, Apr 7, 2014 at 10:49 AM, Brad Wilson <[email protected]> wrote:
> I have a somewhat related question. Is it acceptable to add {-vam/-vetlh} to
> {'oH} to render something like this {chab 'oHvam} "this is the pie"

In that sentence, the pronoun is acting as a verb, and does not accept
noun suffixes.

What do you want "this is the pie" to mean? Are you presenting a
number of foods and identifying one of them as {chab}? Are you
inspecting several pies and declaring one of them to be the one you're
looking for? Get a little more specific with exactly what you're
trying to express, and we can suggest appropriate and clear ways to
say it.

-- ghunchu'wI'