tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Oct 15 08:54:08 2012

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: Doq 'ej wovbe'

ghunchu'wI' 'utlh ([email protected])

On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 11:35 AM, qurgh lungqIj <[email protected]> wrote:
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> If it's based off the English words, doesn't that ultimately mean that it
>> actually becomes an English word of the day, with a Klingon gloss?
>
> In this case I would say you are 100% correct. This entry is 100%
> English-centric. It was created solely for the purpose of showing
> someone who is searching my database one way to describe "brown" in
> Klingon.

...and there's the assumption I was missing. You're treating this as
giving English-to-Klingon information rather than the other way
around. For someone who knows nothing about Klingon, that's probably
appropriate. I do worry that presenting it that way implicitly might
encourage people to keep starting with an English expression and try
to translate the whole thing, rather than build Klingon sentences
using what they've learned, but it isn't a big enough worry for me to
[ahem] worry about.

Of course, if it were *really* 100% English-centric, you'd have to
label "brown" as an adjective. ;-)

-- ghunchu'wI'