tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Oct 09 15:54:46 2012

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: rogh

Robyn Stewart ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol po'wI']

I think I've figured it out for myself. A hunter caught the seal and the
birds and stuffed one in the other to make them easier to drag along the
ice, then cached it all in a snowbank for later.&nbsp; Later came the
next winter, after the food had thawed out, fermented and then refrozen,
but he was hungry and ate it anyway.&nbsp; Or something like that. I can
see stuffing birds inside a larger kill just for temporary, maybe to keep
small scavengers from&nbsp; carrying off the birds. <br><br>
At 16:29 '?????' 10/9/2012, Robyn Stewart wrote:<br>
and likely correct. I'll bet Marc researched disgusting foods of the word
while writing that piece and I've come across descriptions of the
&quot;awks stuffed in dead seal&quot; delicacy before. Clearly starving
people will eat anything, and perhaps there is an effect that is the
reverse of the one that makes you averse to a new foods you ate right
before throwing up.&nbsp; The rotten fish you found buried on the beach
saved your live, so now rotten fish is the best ever, to be eaten on
special occasions! How did someone even get the idea of stuffing a seal
carcass with dead awks and then coming back next year to eat
them?<br><br>
At 09:15 '?????' 10/9/2012, you wrote:<br>
(Kayvak's lingta). The Kayvak naming style does not apply to fermented
Possible pun?&nbsp; Kiviak is an Inuit word for fermented auks.&nbsp; The
fermentation is done by placing several auks (whole with feathers and
beaks) in the carcass of a seal for several months until the whole bird
is edible with the exception of the feathers.&nbsp; Here's a piece
describing the process of fermentation:
http://gizmodo.com/5885202/this-inuit-delicacy-is-the-turducken-from-hell</a>
-- <br>
Indiana University Southeast School of Arts and Letters<br>
Music Department<br><br>
http://www.troubadore.com/QoQ</a><br>