tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Oct 06 20:52:50 2012

[Tlhingan-hol] Polish-language presentation on tlhIngan Hol

Robyn Stewart ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol po'wI']

Here's an introduction to tlhIngan Hol, presented in Polish at what seems
to be the TrekSfera con. Cool. It's an hour, but you can page through the
slides faster, given that ghaytan Hol Dayajbe'chu'.<br><br>
It's funny hearing a presentation in a foreign language I'm struggling to
catch bits of and then have a phrase like &lt;lam romuluSngan&gt; leap
out clearly. <br><br>
I don't understand Polish well enough to catch much more than you'll pick
up just looking at the slides and knowing what one would say in each
context. Has this been covered here? Is the author Pavel on this
list?<br><br>
I'm wondering about &quot;transportowac dobra&quot; as a translation of
HIj, though. Does dobra mean &quot;stuff that can be bought and
sold&quot; the way goods does, or is it a mistranslation, meaning
&quot;things that are good?&quot; I'm going off a Russian cognate, which
seems to have the same meaning, given that QaQ is translated byc
dobrym.&nbsp; I just didn't expect the same range of meanings in Polish
and English.<br><br>
- Qov<br><br>
P.S. Why yes, I do have many more important things to do than watch a
lecture in a language I don't know, on a language I know better than the
lecturer. But many of those would involve getting off the couch.<br><br>