tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Feb 21 11:51:45 2012

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] qo''e' tu'bogh pagh - 'ay' wa'maH cha'

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

De'vID jonpIn:
>> CHANG: Hm, Captain. 'Have we not heard the chimes at midnight?'
>
> CHANG: Hm, HoD.  <qaStaHvIS ramjep, 'InHommey DIQoypu'be''a'?>[2]
>
> [2] - "Have we not heard the chimes at midnight", paraphrase of 2 Henry
> IV (Act III, sc. ii).

A couple of suggestions:

{qaStaHvIs ramjep} "during midnight, while midnight happens".  Try either {qaS{pu'}DI' ramjep} "as soon as midnight occurs/occured" or just use {ramjep} as a time-stamp or even part of a NOUN-NOUN-(NOUN) phrase: { ramjep baS 'In} "midnight's bell"?

Also note:

  qen 'arlogh Qoylu'pu'?
  Recently, how many times has someone heard it?
  (i.e. What time is it?) [st.k 2/99]

KGT 74-75:  Klingons seem to enjoy playing the percussion instruments more than instruments of other types. Among these are various drums and bells. The general term for a percussion instrument of any kind is {'In} ... The {'In} itself may be made entirely of metal (in which case it might be described as a bell, though in Klingon it is simply termed {baS 'In}, or "metal {'In}") ...

So all together:

ramjep baS 'In Qoylu'pu''a'?
Has one not heard the bell at midnight?
Has one not heard midnight's bell?

>> McCOY: I'm going to find a pot of black coffee.
>
> McCOY: qa'vIn qIj 'un[4] vISuq, vIruch.
>
> [4] - I'm not sure which of our many words for different kinds of pots
> is used for a coffee pot.

{Suq} "acquire, obtain, get, gain"
{nej} "look for, seek, search for"
{Sam} "locate, seek and find")

Do you really need to translate "pot"?  E.g.

qa'vIn qIj vISuq vIneH.
qa'vIn vISam vIneHqu'?

--
Voragh