tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Feb 09 06:18:51 2012

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] nalqaD mung

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Qov:
> Can someone please direct me to the episode or book from which nalqaD
> originates, or describe to me what it consists of. Is it two suitors
> of the same individual duelling over the object of their affections
> in the manner of Amok Time or is it a challenge between the mated
> pair?
>
> chay' Suvchuq 'ej qatlh?

It's from KCD.  If you have the "Star Trek: Klingon!" DVD, you could look up the relevant bit.  Alternatively, there are transcripts and walk-throughs of the game posted on the net, though I don't have the URLs.  (If you find one, do share the link with us and I'll add it to my notes for the next time KCD comes up in discussion.)

Here's what I have in my notes:

{nalqaD}   mate challenge (n.) KGT < KCD
  Cf. HQ 5.1:20, from the KCD. Okrand's audio tells us that {nal} is NOT used as a word on its own, although it is also found in {be'nal} "wife" and {loDnal} "husband". Technically, it is a bound morpheme, like English "-(o)logy". (KCD)
  "Though any perceived attack on one's honor may prompt one to issue a challenge, in one traditional form of duel, the goal is specifically for a man to "win the favor of a women" ({vuv be' 'e' baj} [literally, "earn that a woman respect him"]) by competing with another man." (KGT 69; cf. "Duels and Challenges", pp. 67ff.)
 (cf. vb. {Hay'} duel & {qaD} challenge)

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons