tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Apr 22 11:52:47 2012

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] nuq bop bom: 'ay' wa'vatlh javmaH jav: bIjqoq

Qov ([email protected])

> negh ghaH.
>
> [219] This pronoun feels utterly wrong, like it should be negh chaH--and it took me several readings to catch it, but it's in line with {nuqDaq 'oH ngop'e'?} from KGT. It irks me when I have a grammatically singular subject for plural beings and I can't use lu- for a singular object.

I think {negh chaH} can be justified.

How do you do that, while {ngop bIH} remains babytalk?

{tlhIngan maH} is perfectly fine even without marking the object as explicitly plural.

Yes, but so is {tlhIngan jIH}, and we know that {tlhIngan} can be grammatically singular or plural without explicit marking.

That might not be enough by itself, as we know unmarked nouns *can* be plural and we know {negh} is not, so I'm going to invite debate on a related situation:

Is anything wrong with {qorDu' maH}?

Nothing. vIlajchu'.