tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Apr 22 03:15:24 2012

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Court words

De'vID jonpIn ([email protected])

'anan naHQun:
>> What legal words do we have?
>>
>> meqba' is the first word that comes to mind.
>>
>> Any others?

Philip Newton:
> Ones that come to my mind:
>
> {chut} "law"
> {bo'DIj} "court"
> {Hat} "be illegal"; {mub} "be legal"
> {ghIpDIj} "to court-martial"
> {pab} "follow (rules)"; {lob} "obey"

I'd recently looked up legal terms to help me with my translation of
the court scenes in Star Trek VI.  Besides the above, there's also:

{chun} "v. be innocent"
{DIv} "v. be guilty"
{DIS} "v. confess"
{pIch} "n. fault, blame", "v. blame"
{pum} "n. accusation", "v. accuse"
{ruv} "n. justice"
{vItHay'} "truth test, truth duel" (is this a noun or a verb?)
{yoj} "n. judgment"
{loHwI'} "n. magistrate"
{cha'DIch} "n. second, aide" (legal term, person who stands in for
accused in combat)

Some verbs related to judgment/testing:
{noH} "v. judge, estimate"
{chov} "v. assess, evaluate"
{nuD} "v. examine" ({nuDchuq} = "cross-examine"? may be too literal a reading)
{waH} "v. try out, test, use experimentally"

Some sentences to declare innocence:
{pIch vIghajbe'} "It's not my fault."
{vIta'pu'be'} "I didn't do it."

(I also have a theory that {DIj} "v. slide sword blade along
opponent's blade" is a legal term too, and is the element found in
{ghIpDIj} and {bo'DIj}.)

--
De'vID