tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Apr 04 01:08:42 2012

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] To-Be-Part 2

Rohan Fenwick - QeS 'utlh ([email protected])

tlhobpu' Quvar, jatlh:
> Now I wondered which is better:
>
> {parmaqqayDaj ghaH jon'e'}
> or
> {jon ghaH parmaqqayDaj'e'}

As in our discussion on Facebook (:P) I still contend that when the pronoun-
as-verb has the meaning of identity (as in "he is her partner") rather than
role (as in "he is a soldier") either would be equally acceptable. Perhaps
there's a difference according to what the preceding context is:

parmaqqayDaj ghaH 'Iv'e'? - parmaqqayDaj ghaH John'e'.
'Iv ghaH parmaqqay'e'? - John ghaH parmaqqayDaj'e'.

But in isolation, without other context or particular emphasis, I know of no
good canon reason to call one "better" than the other. In response to what
SuStel said:

"The latter. John (better transliterated as {jan}) is the
fill-in-the-blank answer to the topic: "Beloved:______""

you could as easily say that {parmaqqay} is the fill-in-the-brackets answer
to the topic: "[Relationship status] with John".  The Facebook thing isn't just
intended to tell who the relationship partner is, but also the nature of that
relationship (married, in a relationship, in a complicated relationship, etc.)
and it's not possible to prioritise either one in the limited context of the
required translation.

TL;DR: In this context there is no preferable solution and either one's OK.

jang SuStel, jatlh:
> John (better transliterated as {jan})

{jon}'e' qay'be'. 'opvaD {jon} qar law' {jan} qar puS. SepjIjQa' DIvI' Hol
wIjatlhbe' 'op maH.

ghItlhpu' SuStel, jatlh:
> Translation by committee. Sigh.

Alongside what Qov and Quvar said, at least three and possibly five or six
KLI-certified po'wI'pu' are actively involved and many of the others are
certified to ghojwI' level; as committees go we could be doing worse.

QeS 'utlh