tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Oct 09 08:54:32 2011

[Tlhingan-hol] nuq bop bom: 'ay' loSmaH chorgh: <po qep> (tagh 'ay''a' loS)

Robyn Stewart ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol po'wI']

'ay''a' loS<br><br>
I was floundering around while working on 'ay''a' wej for a bit before I
realized that in order to proceed with the story I had to figure out the
layout and function of the important systems of vajar's ship. After a few
aborted attempts at starting 'ay''a' loS here I realized I also had to
stop and draw ? wait for it ? an org chart. You can see it for yourself
at
http</a>
://nuqbopbom.blogspot.com/p/yelwit-duj-varsajiy.<a href="http://http://nuqbopbom.blogspot.com/p/yelwit-duj-varsajiy.html";>
html</a> . I promise I will never refer to someone other than Mahoun by
name without also telling you who they are. I have no intention of making
you keep track of all these people, just like the coolant heat exchanger
on the Dugh, I needed to know how it all worked in order to set up the
story. The thing is, Mahoun is both a manager and a saleman. I tried but
couldn't get around him knowing and using people's names. You can tell
they are names, as they violate Klingon orthography. I may occasionally
write them in dialogue as Klingons hear or say them, but I'll footnote
that. Speaking of names, new feature this 'ay''a': chapter names. You
don't have to keep track of or care about them either: I'll use numbers
too so you can keep them in order in your mailbox. I was going to slow
down to sending these a few times a week, but as I prepare to send 'ay'
loSmaH chorgh, I'm working on 'ay' HutmaH Soch. (I had to stop and do
some mathematics involving the Lorentz contraction, making me possibly
the first person ever to use that formula with c in the units
&quot;loghqammey/jar&quot;). I'm still drawing ahead despite daily
updates and the increasing need to go back and read what I have written
in order to see what parts of the plan I have yet to fulfil. (Yes, yes, I
am having way too much fun. I hope I'm improving my Klingon,
too).<br><br>
My apologies if any of the EuroTalk words have crept in here. When they
came out I was thirty 'ay'mey ahead, so I knew the thirty days would pass
before they posted, but I may have forgotten when I was editing older
sections.<br><br>
This is actually 'ay' vaghmaHDIch , because there was a 21A and 21B in
between 21 and 22. Fifty parts to a story that was supposed to be a two
pager tossed off on the plane home from qep'a' wa'maH chorghDIch. jImaw'.
I am going to start this 'ay''a' off with the eight am meeting Mahoun
announced about 27 chapters ago, in honour of all the people whose jobs
don't consist of flying around and visiting new locales all the time. As
co-oincidence had it, I was writing this chapter immediately after
sending 21A, the memory of which is distracting Mahoun from his eight am
meeting, and the comments on which are distracting me from writing it. I
will also remind you that Mahoun and his crew are called yelwIyyItnganpu'
and they speak yel Hol. I should have made them Andorians in the first
place, not sure why I didn't. They look enough like Andorians that if
they were wearing hats the Humans couldn't tell the difference. Do
Andorians wear hats?<br><br>
This picks up Mahoun's story the morning after after
'ay' cha'maH cha'</a>, in which you may recall Mahoun beamed up to the
ship covered in bleeding scratches and nonchalantly told his dumbfounded
science officer that he had just mated with a Klingon. <br><br>
po qep<br><br>
qep pa'Daq ghomchoH Mahoun pInpu'. cholDI' Mahoun, SaH chutpIn[1],
QumpIn, jonpIn, Suy je. HoD leghDI' QumpIn, yel Hol rI'meH mu'mey
jatlh.[39] SIbI' tamqu'choH latlhpu'. 'eltaHvIS HoD, ngIq mu'mey DochHa'
jatlh Hoch. jangpu'DI' HoD tamtaH pa'. motlhHa' ghu'vetlh. roD 'eltaHvIS
Mahoun jatlhtaH beq 'ej qep taghmoHmeH tamnISmoH. mon HoD. 'eSSIm[40] HoD
je bopbogh joSmeymo' tamchoHpu'. ghelvIpDI' latlhpu' tIv Mahoun.<br><br>
pa' tamDaq jatlh HoD, qa'vIn qangtaHvIS. ?ratlh'a' chabHommey??<br><br>
?HIja',? jatlh QumpIn. ?yuQvam Sung chabmey bIH. Ha'DIbaH wIbHa' ngaSbogh
tIr ngogh bIHlaw'. 'eybe' 'ach pojta' QeDpIn. jochbe' jatlh.?[2]<br><br>
chabHom nub tlhap Mahoun. waH. 'upbej. jatlh ?chabHomqoqvam 'eyHa' law'
tlhIngan 'Iw 'eyHa' puS.? tlhoS voQ QumpIn. mon HoD. DeSDu'Daj So'taHmo'
tlhaymey, DIr'e' rIQmoHpu'bogh tlhIngan nItlhpachDu' leghbe'lu', 'ach
leghpu' QeDpIn. Mahoun jolpu'DI' QeDpIn, meHDaq cheghpu' 'ej QumpInvaD
ja'pu'ba'. SovDI' QumpIn Sov Duj naQ net Sov. chabHom 'eybe' woD HoD 'ej
jatlh ?peba'.?[3] <br><br>
raS Dechbogh quSmeyDaq ba'choHpu'DI' beq, jatlhqa' HoD, ?Dach 'Iv? SaHmo'
QumpIn, meHDaq vum chIjwI'ma' 'e' vIloy.?[4]<br><br>
?ghobe', HoD.? jatlh QumpIn. ?Qong ghaH. meH SeH QeDpIn.?[5] <br><br>
jatlhtaHvIS QumpIn, pa' 'el QeDpIn. jatlh ?DaH meH SeH yel Hol
jatlhbe'bogh beq'e'. chay' vay' vIra' net pIH, yel Hol jatlhbe'chugh?
nuqDaq nuvvam Suqqu' chIjwI'?? roD nuvpIn gheS chIjwI'. vumwI' chu' Suq
'ej ghoHchuqchoHchugh ghot, 'oD ghaH. <br><br>
?beq yIvaqQo',? jatlh HoD. ?Soch ben boghpu'DI' toywI''a' moj.
luje'ta'mo' novpu' Huj QIchDaj 'a yel Hol jatlhbej. jav nov Hol jatlhlaH
je. yItuv neH. DughIjchugh jatlhvIpchoH 'ej yajlaHbe'.?<br><br>
?SutlhmeH ghorDaq ghaHmo' SuypIn'e', jISaH jIH? jatlh Suy Qup. <br><br>
?maj,? jatlh Mahoun, ?matagh. Farsule, nuSIgh'a' naDev chut??<br><br>
jatlh chutpIn.?naDev SuyvaD chut law' tu'be'lu'. rewbe'vaD HoS nuHmey
DIngev net tuch. yInbogh Ha'DIbaH DIqemchugh, rop botmeH cha'maH Hut jaj
weghnISlu'. qorDu'lIjvaD vay' Dangev DaneHchugh chutmey law' DapabnIS,
'ach naDev yelwIyyItnganpu' lutu'lu'be'mo' potlhbe'. ghorDaq Hat yIHmey,
toy'wI''a'pu', jav Dop ghajbogh weQmey'e' je.?<br><br>
?Hat weQmey'e'!? jatlh HungpIn.<br><br>
jatlh jonpIn ?jav Dop ghajchugh neH.? Hagh Hoch.<br><br>
?chutmey vIja' neH. vI'oghbe'.? jatlh chutpIn.<br>
---<br>
SKI: Mahoun kicks off the morning meeting, knowing his officers are
gossiping about him and the Klingon.<br>
----<br>
[1] I've immediately breaking my rule here about not coining new words,
but -pIn seems to be a productive and obvious for N-N compounds. chutpIn
might be a stretch, but you'll get it from her contribution to the
meeting. <br>
[2] Doughnuts from alien planets. Don't you wish there was someone at
your office who was qualified to test meeting snacks for toxicity?<br>
[3] It is at this point that I realize I can relate less to eight am
strategy meetings than to most of the stuff in the previous 'ay''a'. Oh
well. yelwIyyIt swim charts probably aren't like yours anyway.<br>
[4] He'd call people by their actual names, but I even after I named them
all I decided it would be irritating for all of us were I to namedrop
here, so I'm going to avoid that as much as possible. It must be a
cultural tradition. <br>
[5] I was going to work out a duty roster for everyone on the ship so I
knew who would be awake or on the bridge or whatever when, but a) that
wouldn't be very Star Trek would it? and b) yelwIyyItnganpu' sleep a lot
less than humans or my Klingons, so they don't have the same kind of
sleep schedules, just nap when when they feel like it, having only a
responsibility to get their work done and see that someone is watching
their station if required, kind of like washroom or meal breaks.<br>
[39] charghwI'! THIS is a valid reason for words like the EuroTalk
&quot;good morning&quot; to be in the lexicon, for translating the
wittering remarks of other languages. <br>
[40] You've had twenty chapters to forget the name of Mahoun's Klingon
fling, so here's a reminder: that's 'eSSIm .<br><br>
P.S. My mail program has that feature where it puts red squiggly lines
under the words it doesn't like. You'd think this would be a solid mass
of red, wouldn't you?&nbsp; Nope, it complains about loghqammey, the
Canadian spelling of fulfil, Klingon, 'ay'mey, and Andorians.&nbsp;
Nothing else. </body>