tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Nov 28 06:37:24 2011

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] how to use {nej}?

Rohan Fenwick - QeS 'utlh ([email protected])

ghItlhpu' De'vID, jatlh:
> How would I say, "Search for the targ in the forest", or "Search for
> the record in the data banks"?  I presume the thing being searched for
> ({targh}, {ta}) is the object of {nej}, but how do I indicate the
> parameters of/restrictions on the search ({ngem}, {qawHaq})?

jIjang, jIjatlh:
> Do you have a specific issue with {ngemDaq targh yInej} or {qawHaqDaq
> ta yInej}?

mujang De'vID, jatlh:
> I have no problem accepting {ngemDaq targh yInej}, but I wasn't sure
> about {qawHaqDaq}, or things like {tetlhDaq}, {memDaq}, {tameyDaq},
> etc.  If the parameters of the search is not a physical location, is
> {-Daq} still the right suffix to use?

I'd say so. Qov recently reminded me of the proverb {wa' Dol nIvDaq
matay'DI' maQap} (from TKW), which uses {-Daq} in a rather abstract
sense that's not necessarily physical.

taH:
> Also, what if I want to leave the search target unspecified?  e.g.,
> "Search (in) the forest", "Search (in) the data banks"?

You can just use the no-object prefixes for that: {ngemDaq yInej} and
{qawHaqDaq yInej}. (Or {penej}, of course.)

> Actually, "Search (the) database" was the idea I originally wanted to
> express, and I first wrote down {qawHaqDaq nej}, but then it seemed
> wrong to me when I looked at it.

Perfectly fine, I think. I wouldn't've given it a second glance.

QeS 'utlh