tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Nov 26 14:18:05 2011

[Tlhingan-hol] paq'batlh: SEEMINGLY ILLEGAL STRUCTURES

Agnieszka Solska ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol po'wI']

1. N-suffix 5 N

   The rule spelled out in TKD 3.4. is: "When the noun-noun construction is
   used, only the second noun can take syntactic suffixes (Type 5)".

   In "paq'batlh" I found two fragments that go against this rule:

    The Feast at Qam-Chee
    qamchIyDaq 'uQ'a'
    (pp 126-127)

    "Return to the Saq'sub
    SaqSubDaq chegh
    (pp 118-119, 202-203)
    Assuming that here {chegh} does function as a noun.

2. V-suffix 9-jaj

   The rule spelled out in TKD 3.4. is: "When it (i.e. -jaj) is used,
   there is never a Type 7 aspect suffix.".

   We've seen many examples that go against this rule. "paq'batlh"
   contains (at least) two more:

   May it beat forever, anywhere.
   Hochlogh Dat joqtaHjaj
   (pp 102-103)

   Let endless battle and honor await him!
   reH batlh SuvtaHjaj ghaH
   (pp 186-187)

3. {vegh} in the sense of "traverse"

   According to HolQeD 6:3, pp. 5-8, the word only means to go through
   an opening of some sort, such as an open door or a tunnel, and it
   explicitly does not mean "to traverse" so, for instance, it cannot
   be used to  translate such sentences as "A woman goes through a forest."

   In "paq'batlh" there is a sentence that does not follow this rule,
   unless we agree that the river flowing through Gre'thor may be
   perceived as some kind of passageway:

   The barge went through Gre'thor
   ghe'tor vegh Duj
   (pp 190-191)