tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Nov 22 09:05:44 2011

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Monopoly - New Canon - The Box

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Yep, he did it three times:

  Quj wa'DIch MONOPOLY Huch nav qa' tlhIngan QaS
  Klingon forces replace original MONOPOLY bills

  Chance 'echletHommey Community Chest 'echletHommey
   je qa' quv 'echletHommey vIq 'echletHommey je
  COMBAT and HONOR Cards replace Chance & Community Chest Cards

  Quj wa'DIch juH qachmey mebpa'mey je qa' raQmey chu' monmey chu' je
  Custom OUTPOSTS and CAPITALS replace original Houses and Hotels

Also note the apparently related {velqa'} "replica"

  Qang naQ velqa'
  Chancellor's Cane Replica

Note that a game piece or token, which represents the player on the board, is a {QujwI' lIw}.  {velqa'} adds to {qa'meH} "replacement (permanent)" and {lIw} "substitute, stand-in, temporary surrogate":

HQ 5.1:  The word {qa'meH} ... has become accepted as a noun in its own right, meaning replacement in the sense of something that takes over for or is used instead of something that is gone or that has been lost. It is not used for a temporary substitute or a stand-in; the word for that is {lIw}.

{velqa'} may now be the best candidate for a "clone".  Maybe we can even use *{velqa' Soj} in the sense of replicated food.  OTOH, considereing the distaste Klingons vew replicated food, they would probably just call it {Soj ngeb} on the model of {HIq ngeb} "fake ale" or synthehol.

Thinking of "burnt, replicated bird meat" reminds me that here in the U.S. it's that time of the year again (at least in the U.S.) and one of the best cartoons I've ever come across:
http://www.joyoftech.com/joyoftech/joyarchives/622b.html

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons