tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Nov 15 20:32:21 2011

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] nuq bop bom: 'ay' chorghmaH wej: <'e' tul pagh tlhIngan>

ghunchu'wI' 'utlh ([email protected])

On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 7:17 PM, Qov <[email protected]> wrote:
> Could I not say:
> ghutar HoH HoD 'ej HIq tlhutlh je.
> ghutar HoH HoD 'ej nov qIH je Hota'ro'.
>
> Does the verb that the je appends to have to have some relation to the
> previous verb or share subjects and objects? The second one seems pretty
> strange. but I'm sure I could concoct a context in which it made sense.

As TKD describes it in Section 5.3, {je} used this way is still a noun
conjunction. {HIq tlhutlh je} "he drank liquor too" could mean either
"he and others drank liquor" or "he drank liquor and something else".
The null prefix suggest to me that the former meaning is unlikely. But
it absolutely does not mean "also, he drank liquor."

Like just about any bit of text, {ghutar HoH HoD 'ej nov qIH je
Hota'ro'} can have a context built around it to fit. But without such
a custom fit, it's an odd thing to say. Remember that the second part
doesn't mean "Plus, Hotaro met an alien." It means either that the
alien was one of multiple entities she met, or that she was not alone
in meeting aliens.

The strangeness of {Hotlh'egh je} in my mind is because I'm having a
hard time separating the "he" and "him" parts out of {-'egh}. "He and
others scanned themselves" is the primary sense I get from it. "He
scanned himself as well" is probably a perfectly valid interpretation,
but it feels to me like it's pushing slightly past an implied line.

-- ghunchu'wI'