tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Nov 10 08:05:43 2011

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Kortar and the River of Blood

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Voragh:
>> Apparently Kortar {qortar} appears in the ('u'} libretto and
>> possibly in the paq'batlh.  Here's what little I have in my notes:

Felix:
>Interesting; according to my notes, these are the words we'd
>learned from the 'u' libretto prior to this year's qep'a':
>   [...]
> {qortar} = Kortar
>  /tlhIngan-Hol/2010/August/msg00020.html

ghunchu'wI':
"In addition to the previously listed nouns, the {'u'} libretto uses a number of names that I'm not sure we've seen rendered in tlhIngan Hol before. I don't have a complete list of them, but I did record a few.
  [...]
  {qortar} "Kortar" (the Klingon equivalent of Charon the ferryman)"

qurgh:
> He's mentioned many times in the paq'batlh, and his name is
> spelt {qotar} in it.

Hmm... somewhere an /r/ got lost.  Well, since the paq'batlh is a published written source and more accessible than the actual libretto, {qotar} it is.

> In the book there is a river of blood beneath Mount Kri'stak
> (QIStaq) which goes to both ghe'tor and Suto'vo'qor. qotar is
> able to navigate to either with his boat.

Aha!  "May you travel the River of Blood"... not to Gre'thor but to Sto'Vo'Kor!  That makes far more sense for someone to say during the Rite of Ascension.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons