tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Nov 08 11:48:29 2011

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Eurotalk - New Words - Shopping

Philip Newton ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol ghojwI']

On Tue, Nov 8, 2011 at 17:23, Robyn Stewart <[email protected]> wrote:
> At 00:25 08/11/2011, Philip Newton wrote:
>>
>> Or if the snow falls as hard balls of ice, I suppose that
>> would be {rI'} :D
>
> And that, as you know is off the paper.

What does "be off the paper" mean here?

(And I was kidding with my suggestion of a noun {rI'} meaning "hail",
in case it wasn't obvious. I know that the verb "hail" is not the
weather verb.)

>> > I have just called it a QaDmoHwI'
>>
>> I wonder why it's not {QaDmoHmeH DIr}? I would have expected a -meH in
>> that sort of construction.
>
> Perhaps the construction is more specifying the sort of QaDmoHwI' than the
> sort of DIr.

Hm, but since Klingon noun-noun compounds are head-final (a {batlh
'etlh} is a kind of {'etlh}), that wouldn't work so well here - I
would expect {DIr QaDmoHwI'} if I was trying to narrow down the kind
of {QaDmoHwI'} we're talking about.

Cheers,
Philip
--