tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Nov 08 09:07:43 2011

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Eurotalk - New Words - Shopping

Qov ([email protected])

At 08:47 08/11/2011, you wrote:
I get the feeling the space in cha''etlh was left out on purpose, but that's just a hunch. If it is meant to be that way, and there really is such a root word, it may indicate that there are similar tools/weapons on Qo'noS, and not just something they made up for the EuroTalk DVD.

> BTW, this one is a good example showing that the creator of Klingon is
> an english speaker. Not every language (e.g. German) does see the
> scissors as a pair. scissors is plural, because it has two blades.
> French does the same: les ciseaux. In german, it's singular: eine Schere.

That's cool because in English we describe implements that resemble scissors but are larger or more powerful (wow, I accidentally perfectly set them up to be called {cha''etlh pe'wI''a'}!) as shears, plural. I had to write some experimental sentences to see how I would explicitly talk about multiple ones.

"Do you sell shears?"
"Is there another set of shears somewhere?"
"There are two pairs of shears in the garage."

I also want to point out that despite being described as two-bladed, the Klingon implement seems to be grammatically singular. wa' cha''etlh pe'wI'.

The case is similar in Swedish:
a pair of scissors = en sax
two pairs of scissors = två saxar

However, if you were to tell somebody "en sax har två blad" ("a pair of scissors has two bladed"), I doubt anyone would complain.

And I'm sure that's a typo for blades.

-Qov