tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Nov 04 07:31:29 2011

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: pong

Felix Malmenbeck ([email protected])

Used to have a lot of trouble with this word; I really wanted to use it, because it would allow me to say things like "My enemies call me petaQ", without admitting that it's your name [one can probably use something like pongHey or pongqoq or tIchmeH pongHey, but I find the verb useful]. However, I wasn't sure what the syntax was:

*jIHvaD loghaD lupong tlhIngan Hol jatlhwI'pu'*?
*loghaDvaD mupong tlhIngan Hol jatlhwI'pu'*?

...or even a bulky construction like:

*mupongDI' tlhIngan Hol jatlhwI'pu' jatlh, loghaD*?
*mupong tlhIngan Hol jatlhwI'pu', jatlh, loghaD*?

Fortunately, there are two canonical examples that I know of that clarify this:

S27 - http://klingonska.org/canon/search/?file=1996-sbx-s27.txt&get=source
============
tlhIngan wo' yuQmey chovlu'chugh Qo'noS potlh law' Hoch potlh puS.
roD 'oHvaD juHqo' ponglu' neH.

The principal planet of the Klingon Empire, Qo'noS is usually referred to
as simply "The Homeworld."

FMC (KLI's Friend of Maltz Certificate):
DaHjaj matlh jupna' pIpong.

Today we name you a true friend of Maltz.

So, the standard formula is apparently:
"X calls Y Z." -> <Z-vaD Y pong X.>

<3