tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Nov 04 07:28:25 2011

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: pong

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

> Klingon Word of the Day for Friday, November 04, 2011
>
> Klingon word:   pong
> Part of speech: verb
> Definition:     name, call

As used in canon:

  roD 'oHvaD juHqo' ponglu' neH
  [Qo'noS] is usually referred to as simply "The
   Homeworld." (Skybox S27)

  DaHjaj matlh jupna' pIpong
  Today we name you a true friend of Maltz.
  (Friend of Maltz Certificate)

A related verb is {per} "label, attach or assign a name to":

  rep yIper!
  Ascertain the hour! Specify the hour!
  (i.e. "What time is it?"  [(st.k 2/99)]

  ghogh HablI' mI' yIper
  What is the telephone number? (TalkNow!)

Cf. also the nouns {pong} "name} and {per} "label":

  tlhIngan qorDu' pong potlh law' Hoch potlh puS
  Above all, the Klingon family name is highly valued. S13

  Paramount Pictures malja' permey bIH Star Trek
   pong'e' Deghmey'e' je
  "Star Trek" and related marks are trademarks of
   Paramount Pictures. (SkyBox Copyright)

  'u' 'oH ghe'naQ pong['e'].  [sic!]
  The name of the opera is 'u'. ('u'-MTK)

Note the phrases {bang pong} "pet name, endearment", {malja' per} "trademark" and {per yuD} "code name".

And finally, this exchange from TNG "Allegiance" is apropos:

ESOQQ:  My given name is Esoqq. It means "fighter".
THOLL:  I'll bet half the names in the Chalnoth language
        mean "fighter".

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons