tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Mar 21 06:47:47 2011

RE: KTH - vI'angta''a'?

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Christoph Pichlmann wrote:
>> (Note: I use "ghunchach" for "program"(noun) - I'm sure it's wrong,
>> but I have no idea what else to call it beside "ghunwI'", which
>> sounds more like "programmer" to me.)

ghunchu'wI':
> Doch DaperlaHchu'be', per QIv yIwIvQo'. DapernISbe'. yIDelqu'.
>
> rut SImmeH pat vIghun. rut De' polwI' vIghun. rut ghojmeH mIw vIghun.
> pIm Hoch. rapnISbe' pongchaj.

Considering how important computers (especially malfunctioning computers!) are in Trek, it's odd that Okrand didn't come up with something other than {De'} "data", {De'wI'} "computer" and {ghun} "program (a computer)".   I've seen *{De' pat} used for a program, but most people on the list use tend to use the noun {mIw} "procedure, a process; step, stage (in a process)" -- e.g.  *{ghunmeH mIw} or *{De'wI' mIw} "computer program", *{Hung mIw} "security protocol", etc. -- especially after the following examples appeared in KGT (p.177):

  'oy'naQ DaQeqDI' mIw wa'DIch Data', 'ach 'oy'naQ Dachu'DI' mIw paghDIch Data'
  When you aim the painstik, you accomplish the first step, but when you turn the painstik
   on, you accomplish the zeroth step. (KGT)

  'oy'naQ Dachu'Ha'DI' mIw HochDIch Data'
  When you turn the painstik off, you accomplish the last step. (KGT)

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level