tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jul 11 20:56:25 2011

Re: Certification Tests

M Jill Thorne ([email protected])

 Can we still use the postal course?

On 6/21/2011 4:12 PM, Rudy V. Busto wrote: There are 2 separate issues here
that are getting mixed up. 1) Certification and testing. 2) Learning
materials. As a newby, I am not asking for a lower bar for certification. I
agree that people who work hard at it and achieve competence enough to be
certified should continue to hold that marker as a well-earned
accomplishment. Definitely keep that bar as high as the community needs it
tobe. As a new lerner, quite frankly the Postal Course is the only real way
into gaining a sure foothold in the language. I made my own flashcard using
the vocabulary from the Postal Course using an app so I could review on my
Iphone; mostly because I didn't find any of the available apps useful for
real learning (vs. finding translations for phrases). The other bit here is
that I am TRULY FASCINATED and excited by the recent discussion of "love" in
Klingon, as it opens up all kinds of questions and issues for how language
creates cultures and minds. Rudy Busto Quoting qurgh lungqIj
<[email protected]>[1]: On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 4:34 PM, ghunchu'wI' 'utlh
<[email protected]>[2]wrote: I don't accept that the problem is one of
Klingon being too hard to learn. It's just that effective opportunities to
learn are sparse. Creating a good successor to the Postal Course would
probably be a better plan than coming up with an easier test. -- ghunchu'wI'
That's what I was thinking. Something that helps teach the language while
preparing someone to take the Level 1 test. My biggest hurdle when taking
those tests was thinking that I couldn't pass them because I had no way to
judge my skill level. Having a system that gives a student feedback, so they
can accurately judge their skills as they relate to the KLCP, is something I
believe is needed if we, as a community, want more people speaking Klingon
(and want more people taking/passing the KLCP). I know many people who are
interested in learning Klingon, but for them simply reading a book isn't
going to be good enough because they don't have the skills needed to
self-teach it (or they aren't fluent enough in English to even understand
TKD). They need a structured teaching experience that, even if it doesn't
make them fluent, would arm them with the skills needed to continue learning
on their own. qurgh

--- Links ---
   1 mailto:[email protected]
   2 mailto:[email protected]