tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Feb 28 19:30:03 2010

Philosophical plurals...

qaS'ar lI' ([email protected])

What plural does the word for "corpse" take? Is it *lompu'* or is it *lommey
* ? Given the Klingon love of combat and poetry, this subject must've come
up at some point. I ask partly from linguistic curiosity, and from a
philosophical standpoint.
Corpses are, in the context I'm curious about, objects that at one time
possessed the capacity for speech. In that instance, *-pu'* would seem to be
the most appropriate. However, since they cannot use language *now*, and
knowing that Klingon's treat the body as "an empty shell" when the spirit
passes from it (I believe I took that from the Klingon CD-ROM game), it
would seem to make *-mey* most appropriate. If that is the case, what is a
Klingon poet to do to differentiate "corpses" from "corpses scattered all
about", which is necessary to make any battle aftermath scene complete?

Inquisitive,
Mitchell

Back to archive top level