tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Feb 11 17:33:33 2010

Re: suffixes -lu'wI'

Andrà MÃller ([email protected])

Dear David,
I agree on what you wrote about {-ghach}. I don't have any canon example in
my data which has both {-lu'} and {-ghach} in one word. Do you think this is
possible? If {-ghach} solely describes the action, regardless of who is
doing it to whom, then the roles of subject and object for transitive verbs
shouldn't matter for {-ghach} words. Likewise, because {-lu'} only changes
roles, makes the (semantical) subject indefinite but doesn't change the
verb's valency, {-lu'} wouldn't add any difference to the meaning.
So, if both words would exist, then both {tlhutlhqa'ghach} and
{tlhutlhqa'lu'ghach} would mean the same thing: the act of repeated/resumed
drinking and the act of repeated/resumed being drunk. Which would
essentially be the same, if one disregards semantic roles altogether (which
I think {-ghach} does).
If I understood this right, then there shouldn't be any {-lu'ghach}
sentences.

About your sentence "Show me one scrap of evidence that suggests that
Klingons use {-wI'} to nominalize the object." further above: I hope I've
shown that I didn't mean {-wI'} could nominalize the object, but that in
interaction with {-lu'} in MY analysis, this would be possible. But then
again, we are to trust Okrand's analysis, even though he didn't explain his
reason or gave any evidence.

- André

Back to archive top level