tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Feb 11 11:43:40 2010

Re: suffixes -lu'wI'

Terrence Donnelly ([email protected]) [KLI Member]

I've kind of always tended to think that Andre's idea wasn't totally impossible. How about another type of nominalization, with {-ghach}, eg. {leghlu'ghach} 'the act of being seen' (there's no exact English equivalent, but so what?).  If {-ghach} means the performance of an action by an implied subject, then I think {-lu'ghach} can mean the experience of an action applied to an object, and if {-wI'} is the doer of an action, then {-lu'wI'} can be the experiencer of an action.

Okrand says that the true meaning of {-lu'} is that someone unspecified applies the action to the object, and that it only superficially resembles an English passive.  I don't know why he uses verb prefixes as if the object were the subject, but neither {-wI'} or {-ghach} take verb prefixes, so the problem is moot.

-- ter'eS