tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Feb 11 05:05:31 2010

suffixes -lu'wI'

Andrà MÃller ([email protected])

Dear all,
I always wondered how best to translate the word "question". So far I always
rephrased the sentence to avoid constructing a lengthy nominal phrase
involving the verbs {tlhob} or {ghel} (both mean "to ask"). Now, while
looking through {ghIlghameS} I had an idea:
As {-lu'} means more or less "someone verbs" (with a change of A and P for
the pronominal prefixes), and {-wI'} means "someone who does" OR "something
which does", is it possible to create a patient nominalization with
{-lu'wI'}?

So, does {tlhoblu'wI'} mean "that which is asked" (i.e. the question or
request)?
I think, the word I found in {ghIlghameS} was something like {leghbe'lu'wI'}
= "the unseen", but I don't quite remember.

Are such forms grammatical? Do we even have canon examples for this? Do you
think it's a nice way to say "question" or "request"?

muQuchqu'moHjaj janglu'wI'meyraj.

- André

Back to archive top level