tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Dec 23 10:00:45 2010

Re: ram nI' lop bom

ghunchu'wI' 'utlh ([email protected])

On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 11:01 AM, ghunchu'wI' 'utlh <[email protected]> wrote:
> [tlhIngan Hol jatlhwI'pu'vaD QInvam vIngeH.  vImughpa' tuvnIS yajbe'wI'pu'.]

[I sent this message for those who speak Klingon. Those who do not
understand had to be patient before I translated it.]

So, I've seen A Klingon Christmas Carol. I can sum it up in one word: Glorious!

[I'll leave my travelogue untranslated.]

Our trip to Chicago was uneventful. It rained a lot, but the rain had
stopped by the time we reached the theater. We were right on schedule,
and quickly picked up the tickets I had already paid for. We waited in
the lobby for only a few minutes before we were let in to find our
seats. We settled in to wait for the performance and watched the other
audience members arriving. One youngster had on a Next Generation
security uniform and was carrying a toy phaser. He was accompanied by
an adult, perhaps his father, who had on a cranberry-colored TNG
uniform. There were Star Trek songs playing quietly over a speaker,
including a couple of reasonably-done Klingon pieces.

The place filled up, with only a few seats left unoccupied. My wife
was next to the aisle, then me, then my son, with two empty seats next
to him right in the middle of the row. Suddenly I recognized two
people walking in: /HoD Qanqor/ and /pagh/! We greeted each other,
laughed at the coincidence of being there on the same night, then at
the further coincidence of being seated together. It couldn't have
been better if we had planned it.

I had on my KLI lapel pin. /pagh/ was wearing the "It is a good day to
invade" t-shirt from {yotna' wa'DIch} (Farpoint 2002). /HoD Qanqor/
was...Captain Krankor, in full uniform and forehead. He invited much
attention from the rest of the audience.

Before the show, the director came out to say a few words. He
explained the goals of the company and their production. He reminded
everyone to turn off their cell phones. He pointed to a large screen
overhead and told us that's where the translations would be displayed.
Then he indicated Krankor and commented that there was one person
present who wouldn't need the translation. Immediately and
simultaneously, the three of us called out {wej!} The director
understood enough to recognize the number, and quickly corrected
himself, letting the audience know that there were three such people
in the audience, something that had never happened before.

I'm not going to reveal anything about the play itself. There was one
spot where a word went untranslated, and only Krankor and /pagh/ and I
laughed. Talking to the actors later, we found that it was apparently
the first time the word had gotten a reaction. Everyone in the
audience was invited to come mingle with the cast on stage after the
performance. We chatted, congratulated them, and joined in song. One
of the actresses had worked hard to get her pronunciation of {Qoy
qeylIS puqloD} just right, and she did an impressive job.

There's been a whole lot of chatter in the press about the play, but
most of it came after the last performance of the run was over. I'm
looking forward to the chance to see it again next year. We'll have to
do some better organizing and make a party of it!

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level