tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Dec 21 00:41:59 2010

Re: monastery

Lieven Litaer ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol ghojwI']

ja' naHQun:
> As far as I can tell, the confusion comes from the fact that the English
> word only means a building, yet his text leaves a bit of doubt.
> Reading the question as well, I'll take the odd phrasing as a typo and
> gloss it as a building.

Thanks for the confirmation, I thought I had missed something. I have looked at Maltz' message again, and I believe I see the confusion:

> The word for monastery is {ghIn}.  This is a pretty general term for a
> religious community.

You can read read this in two ways:

a) {ghIn} is a term for "a religious community"

b) {ghIn} is a term for a "religious community"

Got it?
He could have said {ghIn} is a general term for my mother, or my dog, and for anyone else. {ghIn} is the word for "monastery" and it's a general term for anyone who likes to use it.

Don't confuse it with "<<tlhIngan>> is a general term for <<Klingon>>"

I think we can now all gloss it as the building. At least for me, it's clear.

Quvar.
--
GRATIS! Movie-FLAT mit Ãber 300 Videos.
Jetzt freischalten unter http://portal.gmx.net/de/go/maxdome