tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Dec 02 09:50:00 2010

RE: quvHa''eghmoH machchu'-tun ghunwI'pu'.

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

lojmIt tI'wI' nuv:
>>loS De' ghom tIn vI*copy* vIneHchugh jIyepnIS.

QeS 'utlh:
>One way I might have said "I copy X" is {chang'eng vIchenmoH 'ej wa'
>vIQay}.  Obviously, other ways are possible.

Indeed, Okrand has done it in two ways:

X vIchenqa'moH  "I make X again":

  {chenmoH} "form, make, create" is the verb {chen} "build up, take
  form" plus the Type 4 suffix {-moH} {cause}. To say "make again",
  the Type 3 suffix {-qa'} "do again" should come before the Type 4
  suffix. Thus, you should say {vIchenqa'moH} {I make [it] again".
  [st.klingon 2/23/1998]

X nIb vIchenmoH  "I make an identical X":

  De' nIb DachenmoHchugh bIquvHa'
  To duplicate data is a great dishonor.  [DCTF2]

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

P.S. For those who missed it a year ago:

"DON'T COPY THAT FLOPPY" (DCTF2)

"The Software & Information Industry Association released an updated version of their 'Don't copy that floppy' anti-piracy song today. In their trailer for the song, they have two Klingons talking about copying a CD (http://www.dontcopythat2.com/videos.asp second video, Time: 2:40).  The line spoken by the Klingon [only one speaks] was translated by Marc [Okrand].  There are photos of him holding a big board with the Klingon's line on it (http://www.dontcopythat2.com/photos.asp time: 1:17).  The board he's holding reads: {De nib Da chen moH chugh / big koov Ha}.  The translation of the spoken line reads: 'To duplicate data is a great dishonor'.  Obviously this is supposed to be:  {De' nIb DachenmoHchugh bIquvHa'}.  [...]  They use the same [footage] in the music video for the song and subtitle it with {pIqaD} using what appears to be the Astra Image font set."
- [qurgh, 9/09/2009]

Back to archive top level