tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Apr 06 05:01:24 2010

Re: Age

qurgh zantai-lungqIj ([email protected])

HISlaH HISlaH. mu'tlheghvetlh vIghItlh, ghItlhbe' voragh 'ej mu'tlhegh lugh ghItlh DloraH.
I was meaning to write what DloraH said:

vaghnetlh ben DISmey bIH
They are 50000 year old caves

That's what I get for posting when I should be sleeping.

qurgh

-- Palm PrewIjvaD QInvam vIngeHOn Apr 6, 2010 3:26 AM, R Fenwick <[email protected]> wrote:

ghItlhpu' Voragh, ja':

>vaghnetlh ben bIH DISmey'e'

>The caves are fifty thousand years old

Actually, this isn't right, as Okrand describes in a message to the MSN newsgroup:

"The word {ben} can be used to mean "years old," but in Klingon, one doesn't say "I am X years old." The

phrase {loSmaH ben jIH} (loSmaH "40", ben "years ago", jIH "I"), if anything, would mean "40-year-old me"

or the like. It would parallel {cha' vatlh ben HIq} "Two Century Old Wine" (cha' "two", vatlh "hundred", ben

"years ago", HIq "wine, liquor")... "I am 40 years old" would be expressed as: {loSmaH ben jIboghpu'}"

(Okrand to msn, Dec 12 1996)

With that in mind, I'd phrase it as {vaghnetlh ben chenpu' DISmey} "the caves were formed fifty thousand

years ago".

Savan,

QeS 'utlh

Need a new place to live? Find it on Domain.com.au

http://clk.atdmt.com/NMN/go/157631292/direct/01/

Back to archive top level