tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Apr 05 09:37:18 2010

RE: yIjaH,'Iwghargh yInej ('go look for a bloodworm', i.e. 'go fish')

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Pam, since you invited feedback, here goes:

1. There are two known words for "fish" in Klingon:

{ghotI'}  fish (n.)
["the most general word for fish", of which there are several varieties (cf. HolQeD 10.4)]

{bIQDep}  fish (n.) KGT
Literally "water being" (i.e. a "sea creature") does this include all aquatic beings? N.B. {norgh} is glossed "type of animal, a sharklike sea creature" in KGT (cf. also the novel SAREK).  Is a pipius {pIpyuS} also a {bIQDep}?

We don't know how common fish are on Kronos or whether they're even edible.  When Lt. Worf once saw a photo of a very young Cdr. William Riker and his father river fishing near their home in Alaska, he exclaimed in shock:  "That is a *fish* you are holding!" (TNG "The Icarus Factor")  He didn't explain why the photograph shocked him, though.  (Perhaps he merely thought it undignified for a senior officer to display such mementos in his quarters.)

2. There's an accepted way of saying "Let's go..." in Klingon:  {Ha'!} "Let's go! Come on!"

  lu', Ha'!
  Okay, let's go! (Conversational Klingon)

  Ha', DaH matlhutlh!
  Let us go get a drink (now)! (Power Klingon)

  Ha'!
  Come along then. (Radio Times)

  Ha'!
  [untranslated] (Star Trek III)
  [Torg motions boarding party to follow him]

  Ha'!
  [untranslated] (Star Trek V)
  [guard grabs Kirk in IKS Okrona's transporter room
   to take him to the bridge]

3. IIRC "Go fish!" refers to picking a card at random - "fishing" as it were - from the deck on the table.  If you want to avoid fishing altogether, you could say something like {gheD yIjon} "Capture the prey!"

BTW this may recall the Klingon expression {'eb jon} "he/she captures the opportunity" or more colloquially "he/she seizes the opportunity":

  Hoch 'ebmey tIjon
  Capture all opportunities. (The Klingon Way)

which, come to think of it, would also be a good name for this card game.

Qapla'!

--
Voragh
Canon Master of the Klingons