tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Mar 24 08:51:24 2008

Re: Klingon WOTD: namtun (noun)

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

>This is the Klingon Word Of The Day for Monday, March 24, 2008.
>
>Klingon word:   namtun
>Part of Speech: noun
>Definition:     beginning of a song

Never used in canon.

>Additional Notes:
>HolQeD 12:2, p. 7, "Maltz's Reward: Part I."  To begin to sing a song is
>to {lIH} (literally, "introduce") the song, and that portion of the song
>that comes at the beginning -- a portion that is often so familiar that
>listeners know what song it is after hearing just that short portion -- is
>the {namtun}.

For the benefit of the non-Americans on the list, this is a pun derived
from the U.S. television show "Name That Tune".  The object of the game was
to identify a piece of music - either popular or classical - from the first
few notes played on a piano.  The winner was the person who could do it
with the fewest notes.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons