tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Mar 24 07:28:43 2008

Re: Klingon WOTD: netlh DIS poH (noun)

Doq ([email protected])

This is an odd use of myriad. I looked it up. I could see it as a
gloss for {netlh}, but not for {netlh DIS poH}. Oh, and then there's
the missing zero.
Doq

The entry:

myriad |Ë?mirÄ?É?d| poetic/literary
noun
1 a countless or extremely great number : networks connecting a myriad
ofcomputers.
2 (chiefly in classical history) a unit of ten thousand.
adjective
countless or extremely great in number : the myriad lights of the city.
â?¢ having countless or very many elements or aspects : the myriad
political scene.
ORIGIN mid 16th cent. (sense 2 of the noun) : via late Latin from
Greekmurias, muriad-, from murioi â??10,000.â??
USAGE Myriad is derived from a Greek noun and adjective meaning â??ten
thousandâ??. It was first used in English as a noun in reference to a
great but indefinite number. The adjectival sense of â??countless,
innumerableâ?? appeared much later. In modern English, use of myriadas
a noun and adjective are equally standard and correct, despite the
fact that some traditionalists consider the adjective as the only
acceptable use of the word.

On Mar 22, 2008, at 7:00 AM, [email protected] wrote:

> This is the Klingon Word Of The Day for Saturday, March 22, 2008.
>
> Category: General
>
> Klingon word:   netlh DIS poH
> Part of Speech: noun
> Definition:     myriad; 10,00 years
> Source: HQ (8:3 p3)
> Swedish:
>

> The Klingon Word Of The Day is brought to you by Holtej ([email protected]
> ).  Please contact me with additions, corrections or comments.
>
> --Holtej 'utlh
> tlhIngan Hol Mailing List FAQ
> http://www.speers.nu/Holtej/klingon/faq.htm

Back to archive top level