tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jul 28 10:04:48 2008

Re: idea for writing system

Lawrence John Rogers wrote:

> Wouldn't it be a beast if this writing system had no word spaces?  Something
> we so love to associate with "modernity" and "progress".  Besides, such
> regular suffixes appear to make Klingon language a good canidate for such a
> system.  I think it's fair to say that most writing systems that have ever
> existed haven't used spaces or word-breaking characters.  Or punctuation.

Did you ever look closely at the Klingon tactical displays on Star Trek:
The Motion Picture? This is the source of most of the glyphs, and in one
part of the screen they're in a big block of non-spaced and
non-punctuated characters.

Now, this could be the Klingon equivalent of all those pointless numbers
you see on the consoles of Federation starships, but it's still an
example of Klingon writing with no spaces or punctuation.

Unless some of the glyphs themselves are punctuation...

--
SuStel
Stardate 8574.1

Back to archive top level