tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jul 27 22:14:20 2008

Re: idea for writing system

Lawrence John Rogers ([email protected])

That's right.  It's a common feature of the logo/syllabo-phonetic to have
minor alterations on characters carry semantic or phonetic oomph.  You know,
I don't know how I'd handle that.  Making small additions to glyphs is both
a challenge to the developer and to whatever software he might hope to
develop for the implementation of this.  For now, I'm hesitant to take any
glyphs and slice them.  I don't like altering canonical forms, I've seen it
turn out stilted-looking.  I recognize these people are professionals with
skills.  Studying the forms, like Okrand's Atlantean language or John
Emerson/ Okrand's Atlantean alphabet, has yielded for me a deep appreciation
of the type of learning tool these people are constucting.  What Okrand did
with Atlantean was a high art form.  Okuda's glyphs so far give me the same
general impression.

Klingon presents the opposite stylistic challenge to Atlantean: very, very
little is supposed to resemble anything we know or even could imagine.  It
has this "ink blot meets blunt force trama" aesthetic which I think should
cross the language-related into the graphic.

Back to archive top level