tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Feb 11 08:37:27 2008

Re: Klingon WOTD: lI' (verb)

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

>This is the Klingon Word Of The Day for Monday, February 11, 2008.
>
>Klingon word:   lI'
>Part of Speech: verb
>Definition:     transmit data (to a place)

Used in canon:

   vIlI'lI'
   I am transmitting (the data). TKD

"This word implies that data are in the process of being transmitted, but
that there is a finite amount of data, so there will be a definite end to
the transmission. The fact that the verb {lI'} and the suffix {-lI'} are
identical in sound is purely coincidental, so far as can be determined."
(TKD 42)

   yIlI'
   transmit it! TKD

   De' yIlI'.  DaH!
   Transmit data. Now! ST3

>Additional Notes:
>See also {lab}.

"transmit data (away from a place)"

Used in canon:

   labbeH
   (The device) is ready to transmit data. TKD

   HablI', Su': labbeH.
   Ready to transmit. ST3 (punctuation uncertain)

This may be a command to her computer: "Data transceiving device,
attention: prepare to transmit." (ghunchu'wI')

"My interpretation of Valkris' line in ST3 as a command to the
data-transceiving device ... was confirmed. Apparently the subtitle 'Ready
to transmit' is not very good... When I mentioned to Okrand at qep'a'
loSDIch that I thought that this was in the form of a `pet command', he
said it was a valid interpretation." (ghunchu'wI')

   labmeH 'evnagh Se' lo' tlhIngan QumwI'
   A Klingon communicator sends a signal through subspace radio. S19

{lI'} is often used on the Mailing List to describe receiving an e-mail
message ("receive/download, retrieve e-mail") and {lab} for sending one
("send/upload, post e-mail, broadcast, etc.").  Note that {Qum}
"communicate" was used once by Okrand to describe posting messages to the
old old MSN-sponsored "Expert Forum BBS list:

   naDev bIQumqa' 'e' vItul.
   [untranslated] {Okrand to SuStel, 11/1996)

Related verbs:

{naw'} access;  {ngeH} send;  {tlhuD} emit (energy, radiation);  {rI'} hail

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level