tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Feb 06 09:38:55 2008

Re: Excelsior: Forged In Fire

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

At 11:25 AM Wednesday 2/6/2008, I wrote:
> >> glo'meH - glommer
> >
> >Apparently a glommer is a tribble-eating predator from TAS (The Animated
> >Series).  According to Memory Alpha
> (http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Koloth):
> >
> >   In 2269, Koloth pursued a Federation scoutship piloted by Cyrano Jones,
> >   a Federation citizen who was responsible for causing ecological sabotage
> >   to a Klingon planet and stealing a Klingon glommer. Koloth encountered
> >   and attacked the USS Enterprise, under Kirk's command, in order to
> >   retrieve Jones and the glommer. TAS: "More Tribbles, More Troubles")"
>
>More info on glommers at <http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki//en/wiki/Glommer>.
>
> >*{ghIlo'meH} or *{ghIlameH} might be a better transcription, modelled on
> >{ghIlab ghew} "glob fly" (KGT).

Another thought... just *{ghIlam} might be the better.  *{ghIlammey} might
well be misunderstood as "glommer" by a Federation Standard speaker.  E.g.:

   Terran:   "What are those things?"
   Klingon:  "We call them {ghIlammey}.
   Terran:   "Glommer?"
   Klingon:  "No. {ghIlammey}."