tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Nov 05 07:42:29 2007

Re: Facing the challenge

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

mI'qey:
> > It seems to me that the most straightforward Klingon
> > translation of "to face a challenge" would involve
> > using {qaD} as both noun and verb.  I understand that
> > Klingon is not as averse to repetition as English, but
> > I wonder if there might be alternatives.

ghunchu'wI':
>Depending on what the situation is, I might say either {vay' qaDlu'}
>or {qaD'egh vay'}.

If the challenge is dangerous, we have {Qob qaD} "face/challenge danger":

   nIteb Qob qaD jup 'e' chaw'be' SuvwI'
   A warrior does not let a friend face danger alone. TKW

and if it's an internal or spiritual challenge, we have {qa' patlh chav}
"achieve/attain a spiritual rank/level/standing":

   qaSDI' nenghep, qa' patlh chu' chav tlhIngan SuvwI'
   The Age of Ascension marks a new level of spiritual attainment
   by a Klingon warrior. S9

Perhaps these examples might suggest something.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level