tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Dec 16 03:40:55 2007

Re: jIHtaHbogh naDev vISovbe'

QeS 'utlh ([email protected])

jIghItlhpu', jIjatlh:
>I just have a problem with using {SoH 'Iv} as evidence for an
>anomalous word order here.

mujang SuStel, ja':
>I didn't cite it as evidence. I said my analysis could explain {SoH 'Iv}.

You said: "Being such a common phrase, it may indicate an earlier,
more fluid syntax for the pronoun-as-verb.", which implied to me that
you were. Apologies for the misunderstanding.

jIjatlhtaH:
>Going back to the original thought, I've since had the idea that maybe
>{naDev} could be shifted as an intentional ungrammaticality in order
>to emphasise {naDev}...

(poD)

mujang SuStel, ja':
>Certainly possible. As I indicated in my original analysis, I did *not*
>have any convincing reason for this.

I'm not arguing with that. I'm just making another suggestion - more
thinking out loud than anything else. It's good to know that someone
else thinks my analysis might be possible, though.

taH:
>Note that in my terminology, the final noun of a copula is *not* a
>subject; it is only a topic. The copula has a syntax all its own that is
>not Object-Verb-Subject; it is Copulative-Pronoun-Topic.

So you contend that {-'e'} in the copulative structure is acting in its
topic/comment function (the function in which it ordinarily seems to become a header) rather than in its focus function (in which nouns remain in situ)?

taH:
>Yes, I know Okrand calls it a subject in TKD. He misnames a lot of
>things in the dictionary, and the grammar presented is primitive. All
>subtleties are not accounted for.

DopDaq qul yIchenmoH QobDI' ghu'.

QeS 'utlh
tlhIngan Hol yejHaD pab po'wI'
(Grammarian of the Klingon Language Institute)

not nItoj Hemey ngo' juppu' ngo' je
- Ubykh Hol vIttlhegh

What are you waiting for? Join Lavalife FREE
http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Flavalife9%2Eninemsn%2Ecom%2Eau%2Fclickthru%2Fclickthru%2Eact%3Fid%3Dninemsn%26context%3Dan99%26locale%3Den%5FAU%26a%3D30288&_t=764581033&_r=email_taglines_Join_free_OCT07&_m=EXT

Back to archive top level