tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Dec 04 04:15:01 2007

Re: Basic grammar question

Qang qu'wI' wrote:

> I would be interested if you could cite specifically, but just as a matter
> of interest. I'm not proposing that anything other than {maleng qorDu'wIj
> jIH je} is the correct Klingon.

It's hard, if not impossible, to prove a negative. Nowhere in the canon
is there any example of conjoining a noun and a pronoun, but neither is
there any situation in the canon where doing so would seem to be
appropriate. My knowledge of the canon is, however, rusty; if anyone can
cite an example of a noun-pronoun conjunction, or of anything that goes
out of its way to avoid one, please post it.

One potential rule against conjoining nouns and pronouns is on TKD p.
52: "Pronouns may be used as nouns, but only for emphasis or added
clarity. They are not required." Using the first person pronoun in {jIH
qorDu'wIj je} isn't done for emphasis or added clarity. There is thus no
provision in the stated rules for conjoining nouns and pronouns.

On the other hand, Such an interpretation would also invalidate
sentences like {ghaHvo' yIt nuch} "The coward walked away from him." And
pronouns are explicitly allowed to get {-vaD} on TKD p. 180.

Don't forget the warning of TKD Section 2:

    It is not possible, in a brief guide such as this, to describe the
    grammar of Klingon completely. What follows is only a sketch or
    outline of Klingon grammar. Although a good many of the fine points
    are not covered, the sketch will allow the student of Klingon to
    figure out what a Klingon is saying and to respond in an
    intelligible, though somewhat brutish manner. Most Klingons will
    never know the difference.

I believe that the possibility of a third person plural beyond {maH} was
simply never considered and never examined. And since the canon has
never needed it, we don't have any information one way or the other. It
is, however, a very common device in personal discussions, something
that the canon has very little of.

Now, before you go taking this as evidence for your theoretical *{maleng
qorDu'wIj jIH je}, answer this: according to your model, how would you
translate "The captain gave me and the other officers medals"? Using our
customary methods, I can think of two distinct ways (not counting
variations with the prefix trick).

SuStel
Stardate 7919.8

Back to archive top level