tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Oct 26 12:58:24 2006

Re: Dilbert Comic in Klingon for 2006/10/23

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

ter'eS wrote:
>--- pm5 <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > DIlbot: {chay' qa'vIn law'qu' vItlhutlh 'e' vISov?}
> > Dilbert: "How can I tell if I'm drinking too much coffee?"
>
>We also have a verb {ghov} 'realize", which I like better than {Sov} for
>this usage.

{ghov} means "recognize" not "realize":

   qablIj vIghov
   I recognize your face. KGT

though it might work here.  Realization though - that moment of passing
from not-knowing to knowing - is a perfect occasion for using {-choH}
"change in state":  *{SovchoH}.

>Also, I know there's some controversy about this, but I think you have
>{chay'} in the wrong place.  I read your current sentence as "How do I
>drink a lot of coffee; I know this." So I would make it: {qa'vIn 'Iq
>vItlhutlh chay' 'e' vIghov}.

To avoid the SAO controversy, use {-chugh} "if":

   qa'vIn 'Iq vItlhutlhchugh, chay' 'e' vISov?
   If I drink too much coffee, how would I know it (that)?

You could also drop {'e'} altogether:

   qa'vIn 'Iq vItlhutlhchugh, chay' jISov?
   If I drink too much coffee, how do/would I know?

or break it up into two sentences:

   chaq qa'vIn 'Iq vItlhutlh.  chay' jISov?
   I may drink too much coffee.  How do/would I know?

You don't really need an object pronoun.  {jI-} can be used "when an object
is possible, but unknown or vague. Thus {jIyaj} 'I understand' can be used
when the speaker understands things in general, knows what is going on, or
understands what another speaker has just said" (TKD 33f).

> > DIlbot:  {taj qaDuQ.} (3)
> > Dilbert: "I'd jab you with a used needle."
>
>{taj lam vIlo'taHvIS loQ qaDuQ}
>I qualified the verb with "a little" because a jab is not a full stab, IMHO.

IMHO to jab someone is to plunge the needle in suddenly {pay'}.  How is
this different from stabbing someone with a needle?  The depth of
penetration?  You may be thinking of "prick", but even so the distinction
is probably lost on Klingons.  (I can't imagine a Klingon doctor or nurse
pricking someone gently, can you?)  Besides, have you forgotten your SeQpIr?:

   cheDuQchugh mareghbe''a'
   "Prick us, do we not bleed?" TKW

--
Voragh