tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Oct 26 09:12:52 2006

Re: Dilbert Comic in Klingon for 2006/10/21

McArdle ([email protected])

QeS 'utlh <[email protected]> wrote:
  >ghItlhpu' McA:
>>Ah, the prefix trick.  I must say this aspect of the language really
>threw
>>me
>>for a loop when I encountered it (entirely without explanation, IIRC)
>in
>>the
>>second lesson of the postal course ({qaghItlh DaneH}).  Something deep
>>inside me
>>insists it's wrong, which is probably because I haven't studied Native
>>American
>>pronoun systems
>(/wiki/index.php?verb%20prefix%20trick).
>
>...er, or the English pronoun system? {{:)
>
>In English, many verbs can promote a benefactive/dative object to
>direct
>object status. Some examples I can think of off the top of my head:
>
>Pour me a drink!
>Bring me a cauldron!
>Buy me a beer!

  Well, yeah, but English doesn't use both a pronoun and a noun for the same object.  My understanding of the Klingon prefixes (correct me if I'm wrong) is that a sentence with pronominal subject and nominal object uses a verb prefix specifying both subject and object, even though the object reference is, in a sense, duplicate information.

     {warnagh vIje'} (not *{warnagh jIje'})

  as if

     "I buy it: warnog."

  Now, with the prefix trick, the object component of the prefix ceases to agree with the expressed object:

     {warnagh qaje'}

  which at first glance looks as if you're talking to your drink:

     "I buy you: warnog."

  This may be excellent Klingon, but it's not really like what happens in English.

  Qapla'

  McA