tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Oct 23 07:06:33 2006

Re: Klingon WOTD: nughI' (verb)

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

> >> Klingon word:   nughI'
> >> Part of Speech: verb
> >> Definition:     twist knuckle into someone's' head

naHQun:
> > I'm assuming this has never been used in canon?

ghunchu'wI':
>Better -- it was used in *person*.

ghunchu'wI' himself wrote some time ago:

   This is one of the very few times we have had the good fortune
   to pin down the meaning of a word precisely. At qep'a' wejDIch,
   we literally got the word straight from Marc Okrand's mouth.
   He verified the pronunciation, spelling, and usage for us.
   {qanughI'} is perfectly correct for "I give you a noogie."
   {nunughI'} is a valid word. [...] It's obviously a borrowed term.
   Okrand expressed uncertainty about whether the Klingon word was
   borrowed from English, or whether it was the other way around.

SuStel provided more details:

   SuSvaj happened to be sitting next to Okrand at qep'a' wejDIch
   when everyone was socializing and horsing around. While someone
   was giving a noogie to a hapless victim, Krankor jokingly said
   "We really should have a word for 'noogie'." So SuSvaj asked
   Okrand, what the Klingon word for 'noogie' was. He replied,
   "Well that would be {nughI'}." Asked if this was borrowed from
   English, he said that he was fairly certain that the English
   word had actually been borrowed from {tlhIngan Hol}! "He
   suggested that some word-borrowing was going on, and I think
   he said he wasn't sure which culture had borrowed from which.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level