tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Oct 21 02:52:32 2006

Dilbert Comic in Klingon for 2006/10/18

pm5 ([email protected])

Greetings Warriors:

Here are the dialogues in [comic for October 18][1], followed by my
translation.  I've changed coffee to sour tea in the scene.  Corrections and
advises are appreciated.

    Dilbert: "Wally, how do you cope with the soul-crushing futility
              of this job?"
     DIlbot: {wa'lI' chay' Du'ItmoHbogh Qu'vam lI'Ha'ghach DaSuv?} (1)

      Wally: "One day I realized that sadness is just another word
              for not enough coffee."
     wa'lI': {yapHa'chugh Dargh wIb 'IQ jIH qen 'e' vIyaj.} (2)

    Dogbert: "What got into you?"
     Doqbot: {nuqneH?} (3)

 [1]:http://www.dilbert.com/comics/dilbert/archive/dilbert-20061018.html

For the pun in (3), I've considered several translations like

    {nuq Daghaj?}             "What do you have?" (3.1)
    {DuSeymoH nuq?}           "What excites you?" (3.2)
    {SoH qoDDaq QaptaH nuq?}  "What's working inside of you?" or
                              "What succeeds inside of you?" (3.3)

(3.3) might worked because of the ambiguity in {Qap}: Dogbert asked what went
on so well in Dilbert's mind that he looked so excited, but in fact it was the
coffee in his stomach that was working.  But in the end I decided it's too
English.

pm5

Back to archive top level